Penne with Tomato and Basil
Super simple and quick pasta dish for nights when you don't want to do heavy cooking.
- 14 oz ripe cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cloves of garlic, chrushed
- a small handful of torn basil leaves
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 14 oz penne
- salt and black pepper
- Put tomatoes, basil, and garlic in a large bowl.
- Pour over the olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper, then cover bowl and leave for 1 & 1/2 hours to infuse.
- Bring a big saucepan of water to a rolling boil. Add a pinch of salt.
- Pour pasta into the boiling water.
- Boil pasta to desired firmness.
- Drain pasta, then add to the bowl of infused mixture. Toss well and then stir.
- Serve and enjoy!
Mac n' Greens
A veggie filled twist on Mac n Cheese!
In this recipe, I'm giving you a variety of cheeses you can use. In the instructions I will use the bolded and capitalized first letter of the cheese to make it easier to follow.
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium to large leek, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup of all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups lowfat milk
- 10 oz broccoli
- 12 oz penne
- 2 handfulls of spinach leaves
- 5 oz of Swiss Cheese, Fontina, Jarlsberg, Gouda, OR Cheddar.
- 3 heaping tablespoons of grated parmesean
- salt, black pepper and grated nutmeg
- Put butter in a medium nonstick saucepan on low or medium low heat
- Add leeks and cook for 1 minute while stirring, then stir in the flour and cook for a few seconds.
- Take the pan off the head and stir in the milk gradually.
- Put the panback on the heat and bring the milk to a simmer. Turn the heat down and leave the pan over very low heat.
- Add water and salt to a large saucepan. Bring water to a boil and add broccoli to boiling water for a couple of minutes.
- Transfer broccoli to ice bath to blanch
- Put pasta into boiling water (same water) to cook
- Just before the pasta is ready, stir in your cheese of choice (SC, F, J, G, or, C) and parmesean into the sauce.
- Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg into the sauce after adding the cheese
- Add broccoli and spinach to the sauce, then stir the sauce. Set it aside for 3-4 minutes
- Preheat broiler.
- Drain pasta, then pour into ovenproof dish that's been lightly buttered.
- Pour the sauce and veggie mix over the pasta gently.
- Place ovenproof dish on baking sheet and broil for 5 minutes until cheese is brown and bubbling
- Take dish out of the oven and let cool for a couple of minutes
- Serve and enjoy!!!