Tomato and Red Lentil Soup
A classic tomato soup with the addition of red lentils makes for a simple, yet flavorful dish!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 garlic glove, crushed
- 14 oz can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup split red lentils***
- 1 & 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- a big pinch of black pepper
- a big pinch of sugar
- 2 table spoons of cream
***If you dont have red lentil, you can subsitute it with yellow lentil
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over low heat.
- Put the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic into the pan. Stir gently with a wooden spoon, then cover the pot with a lid and let cook very slowly for 5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, tomatoes, tomato paste, red lentils, stock, salt, pepper, and sugar. Stir well, then turn up the heat so the mixture comes to a boil.
- When the soup has boiled, cover the pan with the lid, then turn down the heat. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- At the end of the cooking time, take off the lid, turn off the heat, and let the soup cool for 5 minutes.
- Blend the soup in a blender or food processor, until completely smooth.
- Keep heat low. Stir in the remaining ingredients until the goat cheese is fully blended/melted in the soup, the brown sugar is melted, and the soup is hot enough to serve.
- Taste add more salt, pepper, or sugar as needed-then carefully warm up the soup over low heat. Stir in the cream.
- Serve and enjoy!
Roasted Vegetable Soup
A rustic soup for a quiet evening in. Since the vegetables are roasted, they give the soup a sweet but powerful flavor.
- 1 & 1/2 ripe plum tomatoes, halved
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 small red chile
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled but left whole
- a few thyme or rosemary sprigs***
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 & 1/3 cups tomato passata (NOT tomato paste! Tomato paste will change the texture and flavor of this soup so please make sure youre using tomato passata and not tomato paste)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- a squeeze of lime juice
- salt and black pepper
- a handful of cilantro, chopped
***if you don't have rosemary or thyme sprigs, just subsitute it for 2 teaspoons of dried thyme or rosemary
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put the tomatoes, onion, and carrots in a roasting pan. Add the chile, garlic, thyme or rosemary sprigs, and olive oil and toss until the vegetables are well coated. Roast in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes, turning the vegetables occasionally using a large spoon.
- Remove from the oven and discard the chile. Blend the roasted vegetables, garlic, and herbs with the passata in a blender or food processor. Add the sugar, lime juice, and cup water, and season well with salt and pepper. Blend again.
- Pour the mixture into a large saucepan and gently heat through. Add the chopped cilantro just before serving.
- Serve and enjoy!!!